Medical Entrance Tests
Medicine is the field of applied science related to the art of healing, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. In India, the field of medicine is one of the most opted choices in professional education. It is also the most expensive and longest in duration. Perhaps, the most distinctive feature of medical education is that expertise in this profession can be gained only with practice.
Medical entrance exams are conducted for admission to Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) and Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) courses. There are several colleges/ universities in the country which conduct entrance exams for the intake of students interested in medical science. The minimum criterion needed is science in 10+2 level with minimum 50% marks (physics, biology, chemistry and mathematics). Almost all the candidates aspiring to be Doctors take the All India Test. The tests are conducted once every year. All India institutes of medical sciences (AIIMS)), All State Level common medical entrance examination and The All India Pre-Medical Test (AIPMT) are all yearly college entrance examinations in India. The common medical entrance examinations are conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) along with the State Medical Council Board and the individual universities and colleges for admission to MBBS courses in medical colleges all over the country. Students opting for Medical/BDS courses are tested in Physics, Chemistry and Biology. All the medical entrance exams/tests are conducted every year in the months of April and May.
List of MBBS Entrance Examinations
- AIIMS Entrance Exams – All India Institute of Medical Science Entrance Exam
- AIPMT- All India –Pre Medical/ Pre Dental Entrance Exam
- AIMS- Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences
- AFMC- Armed Forces Medical College exam
- AIPGDET - All India Post Graduate Dental Entrance Test
- AIPGMET - All India Post Graduate Medical Entrance Test
- AIPVT - All India Pre Veterinary Test
- AIPGMEE - All India Post Graduate Medical/Dental Entrance Exam
- All India Common Entrance Exam, Vinayaka Mission University
- All India common Entrance test, Dr. DY Patil Medical College.
- AMU Medical Entrance Exam
- BLDE University under graduate entrance Test
- DUMET - Delhi University Medical/ Dental Entrance test
- DUPGMET - Delhi University Post Graduate Medical Entrance Test
- DUSET- Delhi University Super- speciality Entrance Test
- Haryana PMT -Haryana Pre- Medical Test
- HP CPMT - Himachal Pradesh Combined Pre Medical Entrance Test HP CPMT Medical Entrance Exam
- JIPMER - Jawaharlal Institute of Post-graduate Medical Education and Research
- KLE UGAIET / PGAIET - KLE University Under Graduate/Post Graduate All India Entrance Test
- KEAM- Kerala Entrance Exam (MBBS, BDS, BV.Sc AND AH)
- Medical Entrance Exams in Delhi
- Medical entrance examinations in Andhra Pradesh
- MP DMAT - All India Dental & Medical Admission Test - Madhya Pradesh
- PGIMER - Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology Medical Entrance Exam.
- UPCAT/ UPCMET/UPCPMT – Uttar Pradesh Medical Entrance Exams
These are some of the major MBBS entrance tests conducted by the universities and colleges. Admission to the MBBS is based on the marks gained in the entrance exams. Students attend group seminars and present project reports based on their knowledge. All the exams are conducted on different dates. There are quite a number of recognized colleges all over India which admit students for MBBS program based on the entrance exam conducted at the respective state. All India entrance exams will have test centers all over India including minor cities.
MCAT or Medical College Admission Test is for the students who are planning to pursue their Medical education in either USA or Canada. The MCAT test is a standardized, multiple-choice examination.
The test is designed to assess the examinee’s problem solving, critical thinking and knowledge of Science concepts and principles prerequisite to the study of medicine. Almost all US Medical Schools and many Canadian schools require applicants to submit MCAT exam. MCAT scores are valid up to 3 years.
This is the test of English as a Foreign Language. The TOEFL is an important test to be taken by students to take admission in reputed colleges of the USA
SAT is way to get admission in colleges in America. SAT is conducted by the College Board, which is a nonprofit organization and committed to the principles of excellence and equity
International English Language Testing System is jointly owned by British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL) through more than 800 test centers and locations in over 130 countries. IELTS is the world’s proven test.
The GRE is a standardized Examination conducted by the Educational Testing Services (ETS), United States of America. It tests such abilities of the candidates as may be deemed as essential to have by almost any and every University abroad.
Job opportunities for medical professionals are available in government and private hospitals, nursing homes and in different health facilities. The UPSC conducts a combined Medical Services examination for jobs in the central governments departments. MBBS doctors are very much needed in the armed forces, railways, state and central governments hospitals etc. Those interested can go in for specialization in their area of interest.